High-risk auto (also known as non-standard auto) insurance is provided by Dairyland brand products, backed by H.M.C. Insurance Agency Inc. You will be redirected to our partner site Dairyland for real-time quoting. 

Thumbs up in a car side mirror

What is High Risk Auto Insurance?

High-risk auto insurance—often called non-standard auto insurance—covers drivers who insurance companies determine have a higher risk of filing a claim, being an inconsistent payer, or being involved in an accident. While high-risk auto insurance policies are typically more expensive, drivers can improve their records and even remove their high-risk designation over time.

  • Affordable rates
  • Money saving discounts 
  • Flexible payment plans
  • Low down payments
  • Exceptional service
  • Reliable customer support
Get a quote Call: 1-800-AAA-Quote

Why Would You Need High-Risk Auto Insurance?

There are many reasons you could require high-risk auto insurance, including:

  • DUI conviction: If you get convicted of a major violation—such as a DUI—it'll likely affect your insurance rate for at least three years.
  • Driving with a suspended license: A violation such as a conviction for driving with a suspended license will likely impact your insurance rates for at least three years.
  • Hit-and-run conviction: If you’re convicted of a hit-and-run, you can expect the violation to potentially affect your insurance rate for at least three years.
  • At-fault accidents: When you’re at fault for an accident—meaning your auto insurance provider is responsible for reimbursing drivers for resulting injuries or property damage—you increase your risk as a driver. It’s important to note that you’re usually considered to be at fault if you file a claim for a single-car collision.
  • Multiple speeding tickets: Every speeding ticket results in points on your driving record, and every point increases the likelihood of being considered a high-risk driver. Depending on the state you live in, you may have the option to take a defensive driving course to avoid having points from your ticket added to your record.
  • Bad credit history: When you apply for coverage, most insurers will review your credit history to determine your reliability to make payments and avoid a lapse in your insurance coverage. Bad credit may result in the need for high-risk auto insurance.
  • Insurance coverage history: Having a lapse in your auto insurance will increase your risk as a driver. Driving without insurance is a serious violation that can not only damage your driving record, but could lead to costly fines, having your car impounded, or even potentially losing your license.

Frequently Asked Questions


What is an SR22?

The SR22 (also known as an SR-22) isn’t an insurance policy. It’s a form required by a state to prove you have the minimum required levels of car insurance coverage. Also called a Certificate of Financial Responsibility (CFR), the SR 22 is issued by your car insurance company. In many states, we can issue—for free—an SR-22 the same day you request one.



I got a DUI/DWI. Now what?

If you’re convicted of a DUI (Driving Under the Influence), OWI (Operating While Intoxicated), or DWI (Driving While Intoxicated), there will be a cost. On top of legal fees, tickets, and any required classes, you’ll likely see your insurance premium go up significantly. In addition, you might need to file for an SR-22 or FR-44 to continue your coverage, or you might lose coverage from your insurance company altogether. Here’s some more information on how a DUI can affect your insurance and the ways we can help.


What are the car insurance requirements in Indiana?

As an Indiana resident, you’re required to carry at least the minimum auto insurance coverage limits mandated by law:

  • $25,000 in bodily injury liability or death of one person
  • $50,000 in bodily injury liability or death of two or more people
  • $25,000 in property damage liability per accident


Does Indiana have any optional car insurance coverages?

Yes—several, in fact. We offer a range of additional coverage options to help you build a car insurance policy that makes sense for your vehicle and your financial situation. Here are some coverages to consider:

Uninsured motorist (UM) coverage

Uninsured motorist (UM) coverage can help pay for your expenses if you’re injured or your vehicle is damaged in a collision with an at-fault driver who’s uninsured. In Indiana, insurance providers are required to include this coverage on your policy, but you can reject it in writing. Here are the minimum required limits:

  • $25,000 in UM bodily injury or death per person
  • $50,000 in UM bodily injury or death of two or more people
  • $25,000 in UM property damage per accident

Underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage

Underinsured motorist protection helps cover your accident costs when the at-fault driver has liability insurance, but not enough to fully cover the damages caused by the accident.

Collision coverage

Collision insurance can help cover damages if your vehicle is damaged in a collision with another motorist or a stationary object like a tree, road sign, or fencepost.

Comprehensive coverage

Collisions aren’t the only incidents that can leave your car in rough shape. That’s why adding comprehensive coverage to your policy can be so valuable. It helps cover damage to your vehicle from non-collision incidents, such as vandalism, theft, hailstorms and other natural disasters, and even hitting an animal.

Rental reimbursement coverage

If you need a temporary rental vehicle while your damaged car is in the shop for repairs due to a covered loss, rental reimbursement coverage can help pay for your rental.

Medical payments coverage

Medical payments coverage can help pay medical bills if you and/or your passengers are injured in an accident—regardless of who was at fault. In a worst-case scenario, it can also help cover funeral expenses.

Roadside assistance

With roadside assistance, you have 24/7 access to emergency towing and roadside service if your car is disabled due to mechanical or electrical breakdowns or lockouts.

Regardless of your driving history, you can still be insured. Get your quick nonstandard auto insurance quote now.

High-risk auto insurance provided by Dairyland brand products, backed by H.M.C. Insurance Agency Inc. You will be redirected to our partner site Dairyland for real-time quoting.