Great American Road Trips
If anyone knows how to plan the perfect road trip, it's AAA! Search over 500 of our best pre-planned drive trips across the USA and Canada for your next great car, motorcycle or RV adventure.
The great American road trip is still one of the best ways for families to relax and reconnect with one another. To make the most of their vacations, AAA recommends families plan and research as far ahead as possible to avoid missing out on popular activities and fun.
Tips for a Perfect Family Road Trip
- Be prepared – For passengers, pack a pillow and books, games, or music for the ride. Bring information on your destination to keep kids and other passengers entertained. Pack healthy snacks for kids, especially if you can’t stop for a full meal while traveling.
- Safety first – Drivers should plan frequent stops, about every 100 miles or two hours, to remain alert. Make sure everyone is restrained by seat belts or a child safety seat to prevent injury in case of a sudden stop, swerve or crash. AAA members who are renting a car through Hertz can request a complimentary infant car seat or toddler booster seat.
- Pack your patience – Be prepared for busy roads and long airport security lines throughout the summer. If hitting the road during a holiday weekend, consider leaving earlier or later than the typical holiday travel times to avoid heavy traffic. Same goes for air travel, and be sure to arrive at the airport at least two hours before scheduled take-off.
- Do your research – To make the most of your trip, map out your route in advance, using a tool like AAA’s TripTik Travel Planner. For extra guidance, seek the advice of a knowledgeable travel agent. And be sure to download the AAA Mobile app to find AAA Diamond Rated hotels and restaurants, gas prices and fun stops along the way.
- Be road trip ready – Take your vehicle to a trusted repair facility to perform any needed maintenance before heading out on a road trip. In case of an emergency, always carry a flashlight, extra batteries, warning devices such as flares or reflective triangles, jumper cables, a first-aid kit and extra water. To locate a AAA Approved Auto Repair shop in your area, visit com/AutoRepair.
Road Trip Planning Tools
AAA Mobile App
Your trip wouldn't be the same without the mobile app at the ready. Find exclusive member discounts, request roadside assistance, get an instant battery quote, plus access travel planning tools all with the AAA Mobile® app, available for iPhone and Android-compatible devices.