Making Old New Again: The Rise of Rail Vacations
As vacationers seek to slow the fast pace of their 21st century lives, they’re breathing life back into a 19th and early 20th centuries commodity. Railroad travel and rail vacations are rising in popularity and are the perfect way to relax on your next vacation.
Rail travel is not what it used to be. Whether you want to travel domestically or internationally, leading rail travel companies have upgraded their trains to improve comfort and include modern amenities, such as WIFI. It’s also not just to get from point A to point B anymore. Now rail vacations are all about the journey, the views, and the destinations along the way.
For those interested in relaxing in comfort, with the freedom to move around as they travel, these rail vacations are big hits. Enjoy the best of National Parks, sightseeing tours, dining, entertainment and more. Discover parts of beautiful Alaska that are otherwise undiscoverable.
If you’re looking to travel a little further, join a luxury tour with Rocky Mountaineer. Choose from one of their four distinctive routes, exploring the most scenic and historic parts of Canada. One of the most popular choices is the Journey Through the Clouds, experiencing mountains, canyons, glaciers, falls, and the majestic Mount Robson. If you can’t choose just one, you can always choose a Circle Journey, combining two or three routes into one magical vacation.
Travel to all your favorite destinations in Europe in comfort while enjoying the beauty from city to city. Whether you choose to travel with Rail Europe or Railbookers, both can offer a variety of independent and group travel tours to help you experience all the history and beauty you expect to find throughout Europe.
Ready to take a step back from the 21st century into a more relaxing and luxurious way to travel and see the sights? Contact your local AAA Travel Agent to learn more about life on the rails and booking your next vacation.
Top Trending Rail Vacations
Looking for some inspiration for your next vacation, and not sure where to explore next? One of our most popular trips could be just what you’re looking for.
Trans-Canada and Rockies Adventure with Rocky Mountaineer - 13 Days
Canadian Rockies and Lake Louise Explorer - 9 Days
Paris and Barcelona - 7 Days
Historic Cities of Spain - 11 Days
Strasbourg, Colmar, and Basel from Paris - 8 Days
Dublin, Cork, Killarney, and Galway - 10 Days
Great Cities of Eastern Canada by Rail - 8 Days
Grand Alaska Adventure - 10 Days
America by Rail
America’s varied scenery - rolling prairies, plains, and towering mountain peaks - paint a lovely picture for a USA train vacation. Add to that background bustling cities, varied and spectacular national parks, and acclaimed historic sites and attractions, and it’s easy to see why a train trip anywhere in the United States is the basis for a great vacation.
Some suggestions for getting around the USA by train include:
Amtrak Vacations combines the thrill of riding the rails with inclusive travel packages for one-of-a-kind vacations throughout North America. Specializing in Escorted and Independent Rail Journeys, Rail and Sail Vacations, Rail Getaways and more, Amtrak Vacations offers over 300 rail vacations to amazing cities, scenic landscapes and spectacular National Parks with options to depart from more than 500 Amtrak rail stations across the country. AAA’s knowledgeable travel agents provide unparalleled service while planning your rail vacation inclusive of accommodations, sightseeing tours, dining options and entertainment. They are full of tips and details about life on the train and keen to share their passion for travel with you to help you make the most of this memorable experience. From cross-country bucket list experiences to fun city getaways, Amtrak Vacations is the perfect choice for your next vacation.
Rockies to the Red Rocks
Journey through two days of extraordinary landscapes between Moab, Utah, and Denver, Colorado. Vast canyons, inspiring deserts, natural archways and enchanting hoodoos are just a start. Travel with Rocky Mountaineer on this epic train journey.
Canadian Rail Journeys
Riding the Canadian Rails with our partner Rocky Mountaineer
Rocky Mountaineer offers over 65 unique Canadian vacation packages and four distinctive rail routes, rich in history and natural wonders, through British Columbia and Alberta. This world renowned, luxurious train travels by daylight through the wild beauty of Canada’s West and is the best way to experience the majestic Canadian Rockies, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Over the past 25 years, Rocky Mountaineer has grown to become the largest privately owned luxury tourist train company in the world and has welcomed over 1.7 million guests from around the world.
Canadian Rockies Routes
No matter what route your choose, you are sure to ooh and aah your whole journey. Rocky Mountaineer features:
- Circle Journeys: Experience two or three of our famous rail routes in one unforgettable vacation. It's the best way to see many of the highlights along the way including the UNESCO World Heritage sites of Banff and Jasper, iconic Lake Louise, and Whistler.
- First Passage to the West: Travel through the legendary Spiral Tunnels and pass by the spot where the last spike on the Canadian Pacific Railway was driven. This is the only passenger rail service on this historic route, and its construction is one of the most important in Canadian history as it united Canada from east to west. You’ll also transverse the Continental Divide and be inspired by spectacular mountains and dramatic canyons. If you’re a history buff, this route is for you.
- Journey Through the Clouds: Travel through scenic valleys, the Coastal Mountain Range and the Fraser Canyon with its spectacular white water and dramatic landscape. You will follow the route of the Fraser River, home of British Columbia’s largest salmon fishing run, pass by the Albreda Glacier and magnificent Pyramid Falls, and hopefully see wildlife on the way. The highlight of this route is majestic Mount Robson, the highest peak in the Canadian Rockies.
- Rainforest to Gold Rush: Enjoy some of the most breathtaking and varied rail scenery found anywhere in the world on this route. Travel past stunning lakes, through the coastal rainforest and the desert-like conditions of the Fraser Canyon into the vast ranchlands of the Cariboo Plateau. Visit the Gold Pan City of Quesnel, journey through the Rocky Mountain Trench, be awestruck by spectacular Mount Robson, and finish off in the largest national park in the Canadian Rockies.
- Coastal Passages: This unique rail experience connects the cosmopolitan cities of Seattle, Washington and Vancouver, B.C. to the breathtaking Canadian Rockies. Guests will experience an all daylight journey onboard the Rocky Mountaineer travelling along the Pacific Ocean's sparkling coastline.
Breathtaking scenery of glacier-fed lakes, majestic mountains, and ferocious rivers. All daylight, all delight. Choose from GoldLeaf Service or SilverLeaf Service on our Canadian Rockies routes.
- GoldLeaf Service: Rocky Mountaineer's custom-designed, bi-level, glass-domed GoldLeaf coach puts you right in the middle of the awe-inspiring scenery of the Canadian Rockies. Take in the dazzling vistas upstairs, and enjoy delicious meals downstairs. GoldLeaf Service is quite simply, as good as it gets. Fully domed windows that give you unparalleled panoramic views from your seat in the upper level of our bi-level dome coach, hot gourmet meals prepared from regional cuisine by Executive Chefs, complimentary beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) throughout the journey, along with gourmet snacks, and an exclusive outdoor vestibule in the lower-level of your dome coach.
- SilverLeaf Service: To celebrate Rocky Mountaineer's Silver 25th anniversary, SilverLeaf Service has undergone exciting enhancements! Guests will now be able to enjoy a delectable SilverLeaf culinary program that includes seat-side service, more beverage choices, gourmet snacks, and more choices, with entrée options at breakfast and lunch and customizable servings to suit the ravenous as well as those with a lighter appetite.
Discover Europe by Train
You can find an extensive network of train routes throughout Europe making getting around easy, affordable and very scenic. Whether you're interested in passes on local trains or tour packages with rail experiences, we and our premium partners can give you the Europe rail experience you're seeking.
Exploring Europe by rail allows you to avoid many of the pressures of travel. By way of an exclusive arrangement with Railbookers, AAA Travel Agency offers a variety of options for planners who know the cities they want to go to — and less structured programs for free spirits who prefer exploring without a set schedule.
Escorted and Locally Hosted Journeys
See the great sites of Europe with an expert guide to help you along the way. While not focused entirely on rail travel, many of these journeys incorporate train rides into the itinerary as a wonderful way not just to travel but also to see the beautiful scenery along the way.
If traveling with a group is not quite your style, but you'd still like a local resource to be at hand, consider a Locally Hosted package. You get the independence you want along with someone to answer questions, make suggestions and more. These packages also incorporate train travel into the itinerary, so you can enjoy riding the rails as part of a bigger adventure.
Amtrak National Parks by Rail
Lose yourself in the exquisite beauty and wonder of North America's treasured national parks. You could spend a lifetime exploring these beautiful landscapes and still discover something new to appreciate each time. Come make memories that will be talked about for years to come.